Monday, 26 August 2013

Not Just Naans, True Foods Review



Not Just Naans by  True Foods
Burnt naan - I just don't dig the black bits
Since my local Indian restaurant's iPhone application broke down I was looking for a sneaky something to keep in my freezer for those days when I feel like a treat. I found these "Not Just Naans". One of 4 naan possibilities online in Woolworths.

I was excited to get them and I thought I'd take a chomp on one before they hit the freezer. I tried them both cold and hot, with the same result.



Size


What surprised me was the size. They're about a quarter of the size of a Naan from an Indian restaurant. In the pack are two breads for $3.74. On all fronts it's better just to grab some from your local.


Flavor


On the back of the packet is a recommendation to use these as pizza bases. I bit into one cold, yup, pizza base. Instead I heated one up. It still tasted like pizza base.


Texture


These are soft and doughy (as advertised on the back of the packet). It's just a different kind to what naan breads are meant to be. It's a heavy doughiness. Perhaps this has something to do with them keeping for five months after the purchase date, I don't know.


Would I Get Them Again?


Put simply, no. They're just not a patch on the lovely stretchy light texture of the local indian restaurant. I just didn't enjoy them.


Are They Healthy?



Take a look at how burnt these are. That's packed full of acrylamides, and for no good reason. There are other choices out there that taste better don't have all those scorch marks.

The GI on these is in line with white processed carbohydrates, causing blood sugar spikes (contributing to weight gain). 
The sodium levels in one bread (726mg) are around a third of the maximum recommended daily. Protein is good at 9.6g and fibre is around 4.2g (15% of daily requirements).


The list of numbers in this product is extensive. There are thirteen! Here are some that may contribute to health issues. Overall, there are no known long term effects from the additives, however there may be some short term effects.

  • Sodium phosphates (339) High intakes may upset the calcium/phosphorus equilibrium.
  • Guar gum (412) can cause nausea, flatulence and cramps, may reduce cholesterol levels.
  • Glycerol (422) Large quantities can cause headaches, thirst, nausea and high blood sugar levels, however there are some positive benefits to DNA protection from free radical damage.
  • Methyl cellulose (461) Can cause flatulence, distension, intestinal obstruction
  • Methylethylcellulose (466) Large concentrations can cause intestinal problems, such as bloating, constipation and diarrhoea.

Nutritional Information


Ingredients


Flour (Wheat Flour, Vitamins (Thiamin, Folate), Water, Flour (Wheat Flour, Baking Powder (Emulsifiers (339, 341, 450), Raising Agent (500))), Canola Oil, Egg, Yoghurt (Pasteurised Cow's Milk, Skim Milk Powder, Cultures), Whey Powder, Garlic (1%) (Garlic, Salt), Iodised Salt, Thickeners (415, 412, 466), Improver (Soy Flour, Emulsifiers (481, 471), Flour Treatment Agents (516, 300)), Humectant (422), Sugar, Emulsifier (491) Nigella Seed, Emulsifiers (481,461), Cultured Dextrose, Coriander Leaf. 


Nutrition Panel


*1 Naan is 2 servings.


Product Information


Origin: Unknown ("local and imported ingredients")

Company: True Foods (Australian)

No comments:

Post a Comment