![]() |
| Lowan's Cocoa Bombs 325g |
I bought this as a special treat for myself. I thought it would be healthier option than Nutri-Grain, but I was wrong. If you're not Gluten intolerant, don't buy it. It has the almost the same sugar content as Nutri-Grain, but doesn't taste nearly as good.
Ingredients
Rice flour, sugar, glucose (from maize), cocoa powder (3%), salt, natural flavours, emulsifier (471), colour [caramel (150d)], mineral salt (500).
Product Health Claims
Gluten free, low fat and high in complex carbohydrates. "Let's eat healthy"
Is it Healthy?
This is junk food for people with gluten free requirements. It's chock full of sugar (10.4g in a 35g serve). There's only 1.1g of fibre, which contributes a measly 4% towards daily fibre requirements. The claim "complex carbohydrates" implies that this product is either low GI or has high fibre. It is neither.
Contains Cancer Causing Agent Caramel 150b
This one's nasty. It was recently added to the list of known cancer causing agents. Not even Nutri-Grain contains Caramel 150b.
How did I feel after eating it?
Before eating it I was thinking "Wow, I can't believe how much energy I have. I feel so motivated and ready to get on with things."
Then I ate these. Within fifteen minutes I felt light headed and uncoordinated. My throat became sore. I couldn't think properly. I felt pains in the lymph nodes in my jaw (the ones that activate when my body is fighting something). It's unclear whether this was related to the sugar rush, the caramel additive, or both.
Would I recommend this product?
No. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, not even those who go gluten-free. There are loads of better options out there, even if they take 5 minutes of elbow grease to create. I absolutely would not recommend this to children; the demographic Lowan's target this product at.
Purchase Information
- Barcode Number: 9 310598 000346
- $3.97 for 350g from: Woolworths
References
- 4-Methylimidazole (Wikipedia entry for Caramel 150b)

No comments:
Post a Comment